It can be hectic in the morning for moms, everyone knows that. You can’t predict your children’s moods every day, the weather, everyone’s health, etc.
You can, however, do a few things each evening to set yourself up for success in the morning. You can either do these things after the kids go to bed, or even better, have your kids help you after dinner each night. Here are some ideas that will help you keep the chaos-factor down:
- Have your kids help you prep tomorrow’s lunch.
- Do the dishes after dinner and wipe down the table. While you clean up the table, have your kids put their toys away.
- Start the bath water. While the bath is running, have your kids put their dirty clothes in the hamper each night.
- While the kids are taking a bath, while you’re sitting next to them, look at tomorrow’s schedule and make a note of any necessary events including driving time, errands, or events and how this changes what you need to bring along. If you need more snacks then you’ve packed tonight, make a note.
- After the bath, the kids can get into pajamas, and they (or you) can set out the next day’s clothes. This way, you avoid a confrontation in the morning regarding what they want to wear. Pack the diaper bag if needed, but do it tonight. It’ll be easier this way.
- After everyone is in pajamas you are ready to spend quality time together winding down, reading and saying prayers. If you want to use my wind-down meditation, see here.
I hope this helps you run smoother in the morning, and feel more productive each evening. The nice thing about this routine is it helps teach your kids responsibility as well.
Comment with any additional routines you add a night which help create a smoother morning.